Thank you to the Gianfranco Gianmaria Memorial Society (GGMS) for their generous donation of an AED to PMSS. Along with the efforts of the PMSS PAC and Mr. Dennis Dickson, we now have a defibrillator available for our students, staff, and community; in the event of an emergency.
- Gianfranco Giammaria Memorial Society (GGMS): Please visit this webpage. They want to get AED’s in all recreational facilities. This is one ‘secret’ you can pass onto our competitors.
- SADS website: Canadian Sudden Arrhythmia Deaths Syndromes Foundation
SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST IN YOUTH – related articles, there are many, many more. If you are concerned, please speak to your doctor. Getting an AED and reading about the reasons behind it, help us to be gain knowledge and be prepared.
- Unnatural Rhythms: Inherited Heartbeat Disorders are Taking a Toll on our Teens, Diana Swift, Fall 2011, Canadian Health Magazine (a publication of the Canadian Medical Association
- Bystanders Must Help Heart Attack Victims: Emergency Doctors, Carmen Chai, October 13, 2011, Postmedia/Vancouver Sun
- Defibrillator Trumps CPR as Best Response to Heart Attacks…, Pauline Tam, September 1, 2o11, Postmedia News, The Province
- Father who lost son… , WXYZ.com, May 17, 2011
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Strikes Collegiate Athletes at an Alarming Rate – Erik Malinowski, April 11, 2011, Playbook –highest rate for basketball players
- Wes Leonard: Michigan High School Basketball Star Dies After Game-Winning Shot, Kate Moisse et al, March 4, 2011, ABC News
- More Athletes with Sudden Cardiac Arrest Than Originally Thought, SADS.com
- A review of sudden unexpected death in the young in British Columbia, Zaneta Lim et al, January 26, 2010, The Canadian Journal of Cardiology
- Saving Athletes from Cardiac Arrest – Carolyn Sayre, May 7, 2007, Time
- Living 4 Zachary site founded after death of 16 year old who suffered cardiac arrest at football practice
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Athletic Medicine, stats on % of basketball/football players, most are unaware they have a pre-condition, etc.
- Parent Heart Watch . Org, cites Sudden Cardiac Arrest in youth as the leading cause of death of student on school property, more than one student death per week. (American Site)
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Kills To Many Young Athletes, Leigh Vinocur MD, February 11, 2012, Huffington Post (Canada ed.)
- VIDEO: Parent Heart Watch and Sudden Cardiac Arrest In Youth, March 28, 2011, YouTube Links to many other videos.
- Saving Athletes from Cardiac Arrest, Carolyn Sayre, May 7, 2007, TIME. One athlete dies ever 3 days.
- Taming a Killer: Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Youth, Dr. Oz & Dr. Roizen, January 12, 2012, Arizona Living There are many links to Dr. Oz’s views of sudden cardiac arrest in youth. He cites it as the number one killer of kids. Google Dr. Oz and S.C.A.